10.18.2006

God is dead.


Friedrich Nietzsche said it first. God is dead. But, then Robert Hawkins said it again tonight on the The Colbert Report. Actually, he wrote a whole book about it.

I admit that I have a distinct bias here. I admit that it's really hard for me to patiently listen to his argument. And, it's not that I don't want to. It just makes me feel like I'm in college all over again trying to lovingly explain that this is my faith and I'm not asking you to subscribe to my faith, but I do believe in God. Do I need to explain it? Maybe. I don't think it's all that important.

Instead, I wonder why we can't allow somethings to be a mystery. Why is the mysterious so forbidden and unnerving to us that we must explain it? But, then again, Nietzsche said it first.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it? — Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125, tr. Walter Kaufmann

No comments: