9.19.2006

A Literal Interpretation


My friend John and I went gallery hopping in Chelsea today. Though we were mostly disappointed by what we saw, we agreed that this was a pretty exciting, edgy creation. It's entitled Red Sea, and is actually part of a series so this may be Red Sea I or Red Sea II but you get the idea. The artist is Barnaby Furnas and his show is at the Marianne Boesky Gallery. You should go. The other paintings in this series were better than this still. It's actually pretty impressive, though you should quickly run past the first three rooms of the gallery. You will be disturbed by what you see there. Just head straight to the back.

Maybe you don't believe me. I know what you are thinking, it's not really a RED sea. It's a lovely metaphor and was actually a sea of REEDS. Somehow the Hebrew alludes us. But, c'mon, this is pretty cool for a literal interpretation, isn't it?

No comments: