9.18.2006

Gossip

I'm sure that your mother told you the same thing when you were a child: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I believe this to be true, though every so often I fall into the trap of complaining about things that upset me. It seems to be a trend in our culture recently. People thrive off of bad mouthing other people. It's insulting and a little pathetic. Not that I am naming any names.

Instead, I'm pointing the finger at myself. I just noticed that my past few posts are doing just that. How terrible am I? If only I could get the damn log out of my own eye first, then maybe I wouldn't be so inclined to talk badly about others. Maybe it's not so much that I'm talking badly about others. I would like to think that I am just disappointed. I already know I have high expectations, especially from peers. It's a problem that I shall struggle with. But, it's my log. And there it is. It's not fair and it's not right. But, here I am... gossiping.

I could gossip about myself too. I'm not convinced that it would be all that interesting. And from personal experience, not the greatest idea to broadcast across the internet. But, I have found it's something that we do. We talk about other people as much as we talk about our own story. It's how we make sense of the world, I guess. It's a big ol' log perhaps. But, it's there. And I guess I wonder what to do about it.

After all, it's a grade school blunder. It's hurtful to everyone involved and yet some of us (that would be me, it seems) can't help it. So, I'm guilt as sin and I simply ask for penance. Or at least some forgiveness as penance isn't entirely within my theological framework. But, I do indeed apologize for any wrongs I have committed. I'm sorry to have hurt those I have hurt. And I hope that we can find a way to live in more loving community. For this, I shall work.

No comments: