12.13.2007

Fantabulous

I'm not even sure where to start. I'm just so excited. And I know that I shouldn't be too excited because you know this is a season of waiting and expectation and what not. But, I feel like Christ has already come. I feel like he showed up in church over the past few weeks. (This fact has nothing to do with the child that keeps signing his name in the friendship pads.)

On a Friday night two weeks ago, we showed the film For the Bible Tells Me So. It was a huge step for our church after becoming an Open and Affirming congregation several years ago. It started with an email campaign to get this film to come to our local independent theatre. And then, the Associate Pastor (who is a little brassy) asked what it would take to show the film in our church. Next thing I knew, we were hosting the film. I'm not taking any credit for this. It was truly the work of the Diversity Committee in our church -- and I'm so freakin' proud of them.

Anyhow, I feel like the Realm of God has arrived in our church. Perhaps that's a bit much -- but all of the sudden, our church has been flooded with young LGBT folks. Two Sundays in a row. I'm gushing. I'm so excited.

It also happens that I started blogging for church this fall. Church people are not used to the blogosphere. I know they are reading it as they comment to me directly -- but never on the actual blog. It's created some interesting conversations across the generations of our church. I've also come to realize that our older members love to read religious stuff online. God bless them. However, I've been lamenting that perhaps the blog is not worth it because no one comments. I wasn't sure that there were more than a few that were reading. And then, this young lesbian commented on my church blog and asked if we could have coffee. I emailed right away. I'm so giddy. And in the last line of her email, she wrote this:

Side note: how amazing is it that you are only 28 and have Rev. infront of your name. Pretty much think that is FANTABULOUS.


This is how I feel about church right now. Isn't it fantabulous?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cool!
PPB

more cows than people said...

very, very cool! yay!

LittleMary said...

wow. very fantabulous. I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH THAT OPENING UP THE DOORS TO QUEERS IS EVANGELISM. ((pastor peters)) you are doing great work!