5.26.2006

Day Laborers Site

Driving through Mount Kisco today, I saw a sign reading "Day Laborers Site" pointing to an area just out of sight. The sign included a logo for an organization called Neighbors Link. Of course, as I almost drove off the rode in shock, I had to google this organization to see what I could find. Sure enough. Neighbors Link was founded in 2000 "to meet the needs of 3,000 Latino immigrants who represent 26% of Mount Kisco's total population. When problems at many levels became apparent, concerned members of the community raised private funds to convert a masonry warehouse into a community center for low-income working people." Don't believe me? The website can be found at http://www.neighborslink.org/. See for yourself. And then you too can squeal with delight and perhaps nearly swerve off the road.

But, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. Maybe the area surrounding my hometown cares more about the least of these than I ever imagined. Having preached about Matthew 20:1-16 in my hometown reflecting upon the situation of these day laborers only to be met by cold shoulders, I am surprised to see this kind of motivation. I'm delighted by this forward thinking but I must admit that I'm surprised.

Though these areas marked "Day Laborers Site" may be kept from our sight, the hope of the good news seems to be working right here in Mount Kisco. It seems that hope is indeed very much alive. Amen.

No comments: