4.27.2006

Humbled

In the fourteenth chapter of the Gospel of Luke, Jesus preaches about a banquet. In the middle of this teaching, he advises "For all who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted" (v. 11, NRSV). Exaltation is far from what I am feeling as I approach graduation, which is probably good because who really needs to be that arrogant? But, recently, in prayer and thought, I find myself ever humble. I'm surprised by the blessings that lie ahead of me. I'm warmed by the people in my midst. I'm awed by the hope that I hold for this journey toward the unknown.

I graduate really, really soon. It means that I leave New York. It means that I leave the sheltered world of academia. It means that I leave everything that is familiar to me -- everything that has been home for over 5 years. I'm filled with all kinds of exciting energy. I don't know what will happen. I don't know what will come. It seems that there is endless possibility as all of my dreams seem suddenly real. I'm so very humbled by this experience of simply saying goodbye. I'm humbled by the power of saying "yes" to God's call. I'm humbled as just now I schedule a phone interview for a church that would be so amazing to share with in ministry. Wow. I'm not sure I feel exalted in the slightest. But, wow. Wow!

No comments: